Strony

Thankful Believer

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What a beautiful day here in Brazil, IN!! So many things to be thankful for!! The sun is shining...Fall is knocking on my door with a wonderful, refreshing breeze...my happy and healthy children are all busy and productive at school...Hubby is home working today...I am very aware this morning that I am just surrounded by things that God has blessed me with. What more could a mommy want?! And to top it off, a wonderful gal, whom I have never personally met, has done the sweetest thing for me...

I first "met" Tracy Macdonald, a fellow blogger, in The Shabby Tea Room many months ago when we were both submitting cards for challenges there. Little did I know that this person (that I DIDN'T know) would become such a blessing in my life and in this little papercrafting journey of mine! What an encourager and cheerleader! And in reading comments on her posts, it is clear that I cannot claim her as my own, because many others probably already claim her as THEIRS! It must be a sweet little gift to her from God...knowing how to "make the day" of so many others. Well she's done it again for me with this...

...and I can't say how appreciative I am! Most likely you are visiting me because you already know her but, if not, you must visit her at http://www.iwannabuildamemory.blogspot.com . You will be glad you did. She is a designer at the Papercraft Star challenge blog, (among other sites) and there's another spot worth visiting. My how they've grown since the last time I visited--how exciting for all of them! I can't wait until I can get a little more time freed up to get in on those challenges!
Well, I need to answer 2 questions associated with this award. One would be...why I like to craft. I guess the answer is...it's all I know to do! I can't remember not creating in some form or another. As a teacher, I did way too much of it...every bulletin board had to be a work of art. I think the most rewarding part of why I craft is being able to give someone something I have personally made for them...from the smallest teacher treats, to elaborate cards and altered items. Which leads me to the second question...What is the best project I've ever made? I don't know if this is the best, but it is certainly my favorite...and it was a gift for my very dear friend, Susan.
SHE got me started on altering old cigar boxes. So the first one I made was made for her. I used some beautiful K&CO papers and rub-ons.
Please remember this was years ago...way before my blogging days and having a clue of the overwhelming variety of trims, inks, embellishments and techniques that were available.
I also used some of what was one of the best bargains ever for me...a $10 pack of unfinished chipboard by JoAnn Fabrics...it was huge and full of so many letters, shapes and frames.

I spent hours cutting out individual flowers from the papers and arranging them on the top of the box. I loved every minute, though, because I new she would love it...


...and I think I was right...she did! (Or, being the dear, sweet friend she is, she put on a good front!!)





I really liked how the colors of the papers and rub-ons worked together...and they probably are some of my most favorite...so that has something to do with why this has been one I'm especially proud of.
The fact that I was inspired and motivated by a treasured friendship is probably another reason it has a special place in my heart. I've always wanted to post it, and I'm thankful to Tracy for giving me a good excuse to do just that today!

I must say thanks once again, Tracy, for making this an extra special day! My next task is to pass this award along to a few of MY favorite bloggers...I can't wait to "make a day"!! How fun!! Stay posted for that!! And thanks so much for stopping today!
Blessings to you!!
Geri







4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful box! Love the pink shabby details. You deserve that blog award. :)
    Hugs,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you too Geri! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your box is beautiful...as is your entire blog! I've become a "follower" so I can keep an eye on what you're doing!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see Nancy has come to visit you. :) She's a sweetheart.
    Ohhhh Geri, what can I say? This box is absolutely gorgeous! I can just see you sitting there cutting out all those pieces and loving every minute of it, and you know why? Cause I love doing that myself. To me the project comes more alive the more effort you put into it. All the little details and extra handmade stuff makes it more personal and special. I imagine your friend treasures this greatly.
    I so appreciate everything you have written about me here. I have to say that although I love making projects and entering challenges, the relationships I have formed with people through doing those things is the REAL reason I keep doing it. As I said in the award post, we all love to get encouragement from our crafty friends(even those we have never personally met). Don't worry, you can still put a claim in on me. hee hee Like Arnold says, "I'll be baaack."
    Hugs to you my friend and God's blessing on you and your family.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geri: I loved seeing MY gift box on your blog!! Of course, I want it back at some point. I truly do love it and all the wonderful things you have made for me. Your happiness and contentment with your life just flows from all you do and say. You are an inspiration to me. I've never met a more positive, inspiring person. Thanks for being my dear friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete